The Difficult Task of Migrating to Magento2
Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2
D-Day for Magento 1 is 30 June 2020. That means the end of any support by Magento for both Magento Commerce (Previously Enterprise) and Magento Open Source (Previously community). For those who think this date will be extended as it was the last time it was meant to end in November 2018, this time there will be no extension.
If this doesn’t shake every ecommerce Manager and those CFOs who count the Pounds and Cents which the stores generate to the core then, as was made famous by the movie The Fly, “Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid” and if you aren’t already in the queue your business is already in danger. READ HERE WHY.
Magento 2 has was released in December 2015 and and we’re already working almost exclusively on new Magento 2 websites. So if you are still running Magento 1, then now is the time to make the switch.
Here are some of the pros of Magento 2
- Magento 2 as a platform, scales and evolves whenever you need it to. Its modular design ensures faster page load times, faster checkout response times, and a faster customer experience all round. This is because of the advanced cache handling within Magento 2, which in turn provides a more pleasant experience for customers in terms of speed. A faster site generates more sales, a lower bounce rate and much improved site ranking in the search engines.
- Magento 2 can handle more catalog pages (10 million catalog page views per hour vs 500 000 on Magento 1). This makes Magento 2 an attractive proposition for those with large stores, or those that plan to expand in the future. There will be no more limitations imposed on your business due to the restrictions of technology.
- With a brand new uUser-friendly checkout process, Magento 2 will make it easier for your customers to complete their orders. The new checkout requires less steps and enables one-click account creation.
- With better API support, integrating with outside business systems is so much easier compared to Magento 1. Because of this seamless integration, you can free up resources that would have otherwise had to sit between your online store and your other business critical systems, such as ERPs, accounting software, and other 3rd party systems.
- Magento 2 comes with built in support for progressive web apps (PWAs). A PWA is similar to an app you would download from the app store except it runs completely in your device's browser. PWAs are the future for ecommerce. It allows customers to save your website on their device as if it was an app, and return to your store time and again without having to download and install an app.
Reasons why you should plan your migration to Magento 2 carefully
Unless you are running a vanilla, straight-out-of-the-box Magento store, the chances are that you have had some custom code (or 3rd party extensions) created in order for your store to fit your business model. When you choose to upgrade to Magento 2 it is vital that you take into consideration the customisation your current site relies on. In many cases, you cannot simply reuse your customisations - custom code may not be compatible with Magento 2, 3rd party extensions may have become obsolete, or you will be required to install extensions specific to Magento 2. It's not all bad news though. With Magento 2 you may find that you no longer need those customisations because they are already built into Magento 2. Whatever your scenario, Syncrony will plan the upgrade process with you and ensure that all the bases are covered before upgrading.
When we are in danger we all need a Super Hero to save us, enter Syncrony Digital. We have the team and experience to migrate your Magento 1 B2B or B2C store to Magento 2 smoothly and swiftly, don’t delay get in touch before it’s too late!
Case Study: Migration from Magento 1x to 2x
IISA (The Insurance Institute of South Africa) is the only professional body for the South African Insurance industry and are responsible for the educational and certification of professionals within the industry.
IISA has been selling educational materials online for a number of years . Their original web store was based on the Magento 1 platform. IISA, approached Syncrony Digital after having continuously experienced phishing attacks, which were affecting the functionality of their web store.
After removing the malicious code from the original website, we suggested anupgrade to the latest version of the Magento 2x platform. We explained that Magento 2 was more secure than Magento 1x and would afford better protection for the company and its members.
We then were tasked with building IISA's next generation store on Magento 2. Once the data was transferred, our biggest challenge was to link the custom IISA membership system to the store. The reason for this integration to confirm, during login to the shop, that Magento user was a valid IISA member.
Our build and testing were successful and the new IISA store went live in June of 2017.
Since then, there have not been any security breaches and the site runs smoother and significantly faster.
More of our Services
We assist with all aspects of designing and building an online store for your business.
M1 to M2 Migrations
Need a smooth migration to Magento2? We can help, we've been doing them since 2016.
Need a flexible platform to your wholesale customers or dealer network? You can start right here.
Talk to a Magento Expert
Questions? We have the answers.